As promised from my post last week, here are the Pink Lemonade Cupcakes and Icing Recipes! They can also be found under the recipe tab in case you forget where you originally found them! Enjoy!
(adapted from a recipe found at The Daily Dish)
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pink lemonade concentrate, thawed (found with freezer juices)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 drops of Red food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 c. icing sugar
- 6-7 tbsp of pink lemonade concentrate, thawed, to texture
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
3. In a large bowl (or the bowl of your mixer), add sugar, oil, eggs, pink lemonade concentrate and vanilla and mix well.
4. Pour the flour mixture gradually into the large bowl, and mix in between pours
5. Mix in the buttermilk. Be careful here as you don’t want to overmix the buttermilk. Buttermilk and pink lemonade concentrate aren’t really good friends, so don’t force them to spend too much time together!
6. Add your food colouring. I recommend getting a wilton food colouring or a tasteless food colouring from bulk barn or michaels. Using traditional red dye you can find at your local grocery store will alter the taste of your cupcakes.
7. Spoon your batter into lined cupcake trays. You want your batter to be no more than 3/4 of the way up the cupcake liner. If you are filling them half full reduce baking time by 3 – 5 minutes.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool COMPLETELY before applying frosting, or the frosting will just melt!
For Pink Lemonade Buttercream Frosting:
1) Put butter and shortening in bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes. If you are using a hand mixer, start slow, you don’t want butter flying everywhere. You want your butter/shortening mix to form fluffy peaks
2) Add the icing sugar and 2 – 3 tbsp of the pink lemonade concentrate and mix.
3) Continue to add pink lemonade concentrate until 6 tbsp has been added
4) Test your icing, if a knife stuck in a pile of icing stands straight up, its too thick. Add lemonade concentrate one tbsp at a time until the knife is only slightly supported by your icing.
5) Either spread the icing on the cupcakes or use a pastry bag to pipe (mine is piped with a flower tip)